* Stefano Zacchiroli <z...@debian.org> [2019-03-31 09:39]:
> Statement: every Debian package must be maintained in Git on salsa and
> every Debian Developer with upload rights to the archive should have
> commit/push right to every packaging repository on salsa.
>
> DPL candidates: do you agree with this statement?

I'm late to reply to your question, so first of all I want to make a
meta comment.  I'm very happy that your statement (and a number of
other statements on debian-vote) haven't led to a flamewar or big
controversy.  To me, this shows that we should start to "think big"
more.  I think we're afraid to touch / discuss certain topics because
of fear of controversy where in fact the community as a whole has
become much more "mellow".

* Stefano Zacchiroli <z...@debian.org> [2019-03-31 12:07]:
> I know well where I'm placed on that trade-off: I'd take uniformity
> every day. I'm convinced Debian's inability to impose one way of
> maintaining packages is holding us back in our ability to implement (by
> the means of semi-automation) archive-wide changes and is also setting
> the bug for newcomers unreasonably high.

I tend to agree with this, and I also believe that Debian's "we accept
any way" had led to a lot of negative behaviour.

Git and GitHub have become the standard way of collaborating.  This
makes it easier to contribute to other projects.  I can tell the tale
of my own contribution.  I contribute to a project which is maintained
on Mercurial on Bitbucket.  The developer doesn't want to move to Git
because Mercurial is superior in his opinion.  And while that may be
correct, the fact is that Git has "won" and people know how to use Git
(and as someone who is a few years behind with certain technologies,
figuring out how Git works, how to modify a pull request, etc, is
*not* trivial).

Each time I try to contribute to this project, I run into some issue
with Mercurial and it's really frustrating for me.  I put up with it
because I *really* want to contribute.  But if this project wasn't so
important to me, I would have long given up.

When you learn how Git works and how to contribute on GitHub, you can
contribute to thousands of projects.  When I learn Mercurial and
Bitbuck, there's one single project I'm in interested in contributing
to.

So I think there's a lot of value in uniformity and I would agree that
Debian has chosen salsa and that packaging should be done there.  We
can also investigate mechanism to make salsa more attractive, e.g.
automatic CI of packaging.

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/