Hi,

On 02.12.19 00:20, Simon McVittie wrote:

>> In that particular case, the user session must be available to allow
>> activation of gsettingsd via dbus

> There is no such thing as gsettingsd. Presumably you mean dconf-service
> (which is conceptually one of many backends, although in practice it's
> the one that is nearly always used).

Yes, that was multi-stage confusion, gsettingsd hasn't existed for
several years now and also did something else back then -- it just
happened to usually be the first program retrieving settings from the
configuration backend, which is why I still associate it with that
interface.

[...]

Thanks for the diagram, that cleared a few things up.

My expectation was that with systemd, dbus activation functionality
would have moved into the main systemd binary for better process
tracking and to avoid code duplication with the other activation methods.

> I would suggest that dependency system representations for D-Bus services
> should probably not be designed by developers for whom the contents of
> this message are new information.

Yeah, I'm not particularly keen on doing that either, especially as I
don't really use it. That was more of a generic statement "this is a new
type of relationship and needs a new relation" than an actual technical
proposal.

   Simon