On 3/17/20 4:10 AM, Brian Gupta wrote:
> 1) By making it my platform, it should be a much lighter-weight method
>    for people to express their opinions than a GR. If this proves
>    contentious, I can always withdraw my candidacy rather than push
>    through a tough vote that splits the community. (In this case, I'd
>    rather back off and take however long it takes to build a rough
>    consensus.)
>
> 2) I don't believe a GR is needed, as my current plan doesn't require
>    any changes to the constitution
>
> 3) As I alluded, it would really only be practical with the explicit
>    support of the DPL.  Being DPL would guarantee that support.
>
> 4) It gives project members options on how they vote. If I am elected
>    DPL, that would likely be a clear sign the project supports my
>    proposal. If I was ranked below "None of the above", that's another
>    clear message. Finally, if most people ranked me above "None of the
>    above, even if I wasn't first choice, I'd assume that as a signal of
>    support for the proposal and would try to work with the elected DPL
>    to implement the proposal.

Brian,

Thanks for bringing the topic of a Debian foundation, and highlighting
the past problems with SPI (I kind of was shocked to read about the
paypal account, I somehow missed what happened...).

Sorry for this, but I very much don't think it's a good idea to mix a a
DPL election, and assume that people's votes will reflect their will to
setup a foundation or not. Maybe a lot of people will prefer candidate X
or Y before you, but will still would like to move ahead with the
foundation idea. The same way, some may like you, but may not like the
foundation thing.

Moreover, as this is the main thing if your platform, we don't have a
clue about the rest of your intentions, and how you see the DPL job.

I would have very much prefer if you had discuss this as a separate
topic, and made sure that the next future DPL would support you, or if
you nominated yourself for the DPL election, and voiced your intend to
make a GR about creating a foundation (but not make it the only topic of
your platform).

Anyway, thanks for this topic again, and I really hope you make the
foundation thing happen, being the DPL or not. :)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)