On 11/21/23 22:26, Bill Allombert wrote:
I note that this is not the first law proposal that impact Debian and we never
did used the GR process for issuing a position statement.

The DPL could delegate to a group of people knowledgeable in EU law to draft
a statement that is congruent with the interest of Debian >
EU law is significantly different from US law and publishing a statement that
either misrepresent the CRA or the current state of EU law is not likely to
be taken seriously, so we need some care.

We have legitimate reasons to feel concerned by the impact of this law, but
all the more reasons to act cautiously.

Excuse me to insist with vocabulary, but since you've use the word "law" 6 times above: the EU isn't a state or a nation, and doesn't make laws. We're talking about "directives", that eventually will be implemented as laws in each member state. This is a huge difference that make it possible to fight the CRA at multiple levels. This also mean that the CRA wording isn't as important as the wording of its implementation as a law in each member state.

Also, once the directive is passed, it's still theoretically possible to fight its wording in each state. Seen the other way around: it's possible that the implementation as a law in each country is worse than then directive itself, we must pay attention to it (it's probably even more difficult for us this way, as there will be 27 implementations to take care of).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)