On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 02:22:01AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hmm.  You're interpreting "all" as "any" and I'm interpreting it as
> "every".  Clearly "all" is not a good word to use there.  :)

"all" just needs to be qualified a bit more...I qualified it it
as "all hppa" whereas it could say "all architectures".

> Yes, there are people that would like to do that.  I think one problem
> is that automake is hardly a more enticing solution.  :)

well, lots of debian packages use config.guess/config.sub.
But that's not the part that bugs me - the steps behind that
are little more than shell scripts packaged in Makefiles.
(eg "World" target in the main Makefile)

> Okay.  Still, you can always browse the list archives:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/

ok - saved

> > I can run builds on 650Mhz hppa boxes if I get pointed at a bk or CVS
> > repository and make the results available via ftp or http.
> > I can't exhaustively test the results though.
>
> At this point you'd need an account on my Subversion server to automate
> this.

hmm...well, if someone needs a snapshot built, I'm happy to
pull an occasional tarball (once a month or so).

> I'll communicate with him on the further resolution of this.

I already (irc.parisc-linux.org). lamont will have time to bin-NMU
when he gets home on Tuesday - he's on the road still now.

> Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention.  It doesn't really do
> much to improve my poor opinion of GCC 3.3.  :(

welcome.

FYI, I'm still seeing another gcc-3.3.1 problem building xfree86 4.2.1-9.
gcc isn't finding stuff for C++ libraries:
http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2003-August/020655.html

I thought this was an hppa specific problem. hppa gcc maintainer
watches parisc-linux list and we should hear from him....or from
anyone who cares to muck with binutils.

thanks,
grant