Control: clone -1 -2
Control: retitle -1 libwine: spurious error message "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
key" with invalid/old DISPLAY when X11 is not used
Control: reassign -2 libx11-6 2:1.6.7-1
Control: retitle -2 libx11-6: error message "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key"
not followed by a newline character

On 2018-11-28 18:19:46 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> The output is actually present, but was filtered out later by
> the script due to an unexpected error message without a \n.
>
> The tests/tversion.log starts with:
>
> Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key[tversion] MPFR 4.1.0-dev
> [tversion] Compiler: GCC 7.3-win32 20180506
>
> This message "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key" is in tversion.log
> only, perhaps because the tversion test is executed first.

I can reproduce the issue with:

$ DISPLAY=:0 wine tversion.exe
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key[tversion] MPFR 4.1.0-dev
[tversion] Compiler: GCC 7.3-win32 20180506
[...]

while there is no corresponding X server associated with :0. FYI,
this happens when the test is run in GNU screen and the X server
has shut down in the meantime.

Even though there is a workaround (unset DISPLAY), there are two
issues that should be fixed:

1. When X11 is not used like here, there is no reason to try to use
DISPLAY (or at least, error messages should be deferred). Note that
"env -u DISPLAY wine tversion.exe" doesn't output any error message.

2. As seen above, the error message does not end with a newline
character. This breaks the parsing of the output (at least when
both the standard output and the standard error are redirected
to the same file).

This is confirmed with:

$ DISPLAY=:0 wine tversion.exe > /dev/null
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key%

under zsh, where the "%" output by zsh means that the newline character
is missing.

I get the same issue with:

$ DISPLAY=:0 xterm
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key/usr/bin/xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0

and with gxmessage (which doesn't use Xt), so that I assume that
this comes from libX11. Reassigning this one to libx11-6.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>