On 2006-05-03 Thijs Kinkhorst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> The bug concerns the following. When upgrading, I got questions like
> this one:

>  The default keyboard layout selection for the Xorg server will be based
>  on a combination of the language and the keyboard layout selected in the
>  installer.

>  Accept this option if you want the keyboard layout to be redetected.
>  Decline it if you want to keep your current layout.

>  Autodetect keyboard layout?

>  <Yes>  <No>

> The text uses a cryptic way to, I guess, refer to the buttons at the bottom
> ("Accept" refers to "Yes" and "Decline" to "No"?). It could be that this is
> instantly obvious to native English speakers, but it's not to me. After
> reading it again I arrived at the conclusion that this must be a
> description of the buttons, but reading it again should not be
> necessary.

> I suggest to be as concrete as possible when directing users what to
> do, and refer to the present user interface items directly. This helps
> both people who are not intimately involved with the used language, and
> less expert users.

> My suggestion is therefore to use "Select Yes if you want the keyboard
> layout to be redetected. Select No if you want to keep your current
> layout.".

> This also applies to some other questions.

> Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Stuff like this is done on purpose, <quoting developer's reference>
-------------------
6.5.2.4 Do not make assumptions about interfaces

Templates text should not make reference to widgets belonging to some
debconf interfaces. Sentences like "If you answer Yes..." have no
meaning for users of graphical interfaces which use checkboxes for
boolean questions.
[...]
More generally speaking, try to avoid referring to user actions. Just
give facts.
cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute