Package: xkb-data
Version: 1.0~cvs.20070916-1

I have configured my X server to use the fr/oss keymap:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr(oss)"
EndSection

and the right Ctrl key doesn’t seem to do anything useful. In xev, it is
recognized as “keycode 109 (keysym 0xfe11, (no name))”.

The keymap contains the following line:
        include "level5(rctrl_switch)"
and it soon turned out that commenting it out fixes the issue and brings
Control_R back.

That line seems here to make the key serve as a level5 modifier, but
there are no symbols defined over level 4 in the keymap, so I don’t
understand why it is here for.

--
 .''`.