On 2010-03-28 19:57 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:

>> On 2010-03-28 16:36 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
>>
>> > That's only true for some chips (nv50 IIRC).  You'd still need firmware
>
> nv40 actually.

Not quite, for nv40 there's a generator in 2.6.33 already.  2.6.34 has
added one for nv50.

>> > for the rest.
>>
>> I see.  Loading external firmware is disabled by default in 2.6.34, it
>> requires the ctxfw module parameter.
>>
> This doesn't seem to have changed between .33 and .34 afaict?

Yes and no.  In 2.6.33, loading external firmware is enabled by default
for NV50 cards, and apparently only for them.  Incidentally, I have such
a card…

>> ISTM this has the problem that the get-orig-source target will still run
>> the unpatched configure.ac, so that is necessary to re-run autoconf at
>> package build time.  Maybe it is best to not include generated files in
>> the .orig.tar.gz at all?
>>
> for all other X drivers we ship the pristine tarball, but delete the
> generated files on clean and run autoreconf on build.  For nouveau you
> could do something similar I think.  Could the get-orig-source target be
> a simple invocation of git archive, until the driver gets a real
> release?

I would prefer that.  Shipping generated files in the .orig.tar.gz that
are deleted by the clean target only makes sense to me when I have a
pristine upstream tarball in the first place.

Sven