I do not think this particular bug is dependent on any one driver (Intel or
otherwise) as previous posters have suggested. I have also experienced this
bug on a fresh installation using a Radeon 580 and the open-source amdgpu
driver.

I was able to work around the problem temporarily by changing the greeter
or using the CTRL+ALT+F7 key combination when I wanted to unlock the
screen. Unfortunately, this problem annoyed me enough that I have since
moved away from XFCE, so I am not able to perform any additional tests or
provide more detailed information. I just wanted to chime in and provide
what information I could about the bug.