Hello List,

My Imail Server (8.03 HF1) experiences an intermittent oddity. Occaisionally, the mail server stops sending mail to remote MX hosts.

Here's what I know.

1. What's Up Gold reports the SMTP service as "up.". Imail Admin
2. Users can send and receive email from the server via SMTP.
3. The server receive mail from remote mail exchangers
4. Outgoing mail to remote mail exchangers fails. The mail however is queued for resending, and bounces in the appropriate amount of time.
5. From the Imail server itself, I cannot open a telnet session to port 25 on the same server. When I try, I get a connect failed message.

6. I am also running native Windows 2000 TCP/IP filtering on the box. I've left TCP 25 open (among others), and left IP and UDP unfiltered.
7. I'm running Declude 1.75 on this particular box.
8. I have a backup Ipswitch SMTP server that also uses TCPIP filtering (but no Declude.) That server does not display the symptom in line 5.
9. Disabling TCP/IP filtering and rebooting the server fixes the problem. If I re-enable TCPIP filtering, and reboot, everything seems to flow ok,
and I cannot immediately duplicate the problem. However, the same problem reoccurs within a week and the same solution fixes it.

Since this is the second time in 2 weeks that his has occurred, I've disabled TCP/IP filtering, for the time being. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Burzin

------ Burzin Sumariwalla Phone: (314) 994-9411 x291 [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fax: (314) 997-7615 Pager: (314) 407-3345

Networking and Telecommunications Manager
Information Technology Services
St. Louis County Library District
1640 S. Lindbergh Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63131