Is there a way to just refuse attachments of certain types? <instead of
quarantined> OR strip the attachment off? I don't want to bounce messages,
I'd be happy with just removing the attachment..... maybe add a line to the
mail "Attachment removed" ? Is this possible? Or something we can add?

No, that isn't possible. Altering or removing attachments get very complex, and with the newly discovered vulnerabilities, it becomes very dangerous (meaning that by stripping certain attachment types, future viruses could bypass the attachment stripping).