Today we had a 'horrible' thing happened with our scanner (have two in place F-Prot and InoculateIT), not sure which one had issues:

06/04/2003 14:51:29 Q3ef6000501666762 ERROR: Virus scanner didn't finish after 60 seconds; terminating.

This is the problem -- one of the virus scanners was getting "stuck", and not finishing its scanning (which also indirectly caused further problems, such as the sharing violation).

his took our server to a crawl as it couldn't scan emails, there was 30 min. of living he.. there. When I checked the spool folder we were in overflow due to the backup of the virus scanning. We are also still continuing to receive a ton of these in my logs:

06/04/2003 08:45:39 Qe9ec092201523842 No filename in disp Content-Disposition: attachment.

Searching through viruses we've received, we found a W32/[EMAIL PROTECTED] that could cause this unusual warning. It should not normally appear for legitimate E-mails, however.

Also, if I have issues with the scanners, what should be the sequence to aid in the problem above.

The key here would be to find out which of the two scanners wasn't finishing, and fix it. However, that may be difficult to do. The next release of Declude Virus will log which scanner didn't finish.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.