At 09:51 AM 9/6/2003, you wrote:
Question, what do others do to block repeat offenders who send SPAM with
vulnerabilities?

I know to add the from IP address to the SMTP control access file, but I
guess my question is more of do we see the same IP addresses?

Would it be a good idea to share the IP addresses of the repeat offenders
with others, or is it like viruses where everyone's experience is different?

Generally it's some putz with a mis-configured or ancient e-mail program, or some spammer routing through a proxy or open relay. If I can confirm the open relay I'll add them to the IP filter in Imail, or my banned IP filter in Junkmail. Otherwise I just let the virus filter take them out. We're only doing about 35k in e-mail a day, so the load isn't too bad.

The problem with global blocking by IP address would be just because one person using that mail server could be the problem. I've got a customer that insists on using some third party mail program written in the 90's on Windows 95. Half of her mail comes back as undeliverable because of it, and she just doesn't get the reason why. It worked in 1998, it should work now :)

Maybe a shared file would be in order.

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA
Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You
www.eservicesforyou.com

Rich Griebel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.kendra.com
Scanned for Viruses using Declude and F-Prot

--- [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus (http://www.declude.com)]