I agree with the "sudden death" scenario. With Virus scanners it would
be helpful to stop after the first found virus.

If the first scanner is significantly more efficient than the others
(such as FProt) then the savings would be amplified quite a bit.

Since virus scanners are almost always "dumb" and don't learn anything
from the messages they process there is no good reason I can think of
to run a second or third scanner if the first has detected a virus.

_M

On Monday, August 2, 2004, 4:40:27 PM, Markus wrote:

>> >When running multiple scanners is their a way to prevent the other
>> >configured virus scanners from scanning the message if the
>> first virus
>> >scanner finds a virus?
>>
>> No, there is not.  Given that all non-virus E-mails will be
>> sent through all scanners, the extra time used is minimal
>> unless a high percentage of your traffic is viruses.  We are
>> considering an option to let you stop scanning after the
>> first virus is detected.

MG> Looking at the last 4 months 17% of the processed messages on our server are
MG> virus infected.
50% are Spam =>> without file attachments
MG> If we assume that from the resting 33% of legit messages one quarter has a
MG> file attachment, we have the following percentages for messages with file
MG> attachments and so calling virus scanners:

MG> ~ 17% infected messages
MG> ~  8% legit messages

MG> If every message triggers two virus engines stopping after the first
MG> detection of a virus would significantly reduce virus checks by 34%
MG> Running 3 virus engines it would cut down engine calls by over 45%

=>> with the same resources you can run a third scan engine