From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 6:28 PM
To: Declude.Virus@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.Virus] Upgrade issues

My two cents on this topic.

E-mail is something that needs to be highly available, including the spam and
virus blocking capabilities.  Many of our systems have redundancies in place or
plans that allow for disaster recovery of catastrophic failures.  For me, this
includes my main facility being knocked off-line, rendering my server
inaccessible (fire, earthquake, flood, or even fiber cuts).

I have determined that so long as a single server can handle my entire load,
that the best method for me is to have a cold-spare on a separate network.
This means that I need to be able to turn on this cold spare at a moment's
notice and I can't be required to jump through hoops to get this to happen.

I fear that there is a phone-home mechanism being integrated into the system that is
using this data.  Phoning home has come up in the past and I must repeat that I strongly
feel that Declude needs to let us know upfront what exactly it is doing and how this data
is being used.  This is not just limited to licensing mechanisms but also forging virus
queries and any other such mechanism.  A privacy policy should be published concerning
this, and customers need to have the option of blocking the sharing of such data.  There
is obviously a limit to what one should expect to share, but where that limit is
currently is unknown so far as Declude's policy goes.  The use of data collected from my
system to help fuel Declude's "Multiple Threat" DNSBL using default-opt-in for
instance irked me, and the only established policy for opting out was to turn off forging
virus detection.  This was one of the factors that I used in deciding to turn this off
and forgo all virus notifications.  I did not want my data shared to an extent that I
couldn'
t control it, and I was concerned at my clients, and the people that they
communicated with would get blacklisted as a result of merely being infected
with a virus.

My concerns are different yet also similar in some ways when it comes to this
license verification process.  I want to know what data is being gathered by
Declude and how it is being used, and I want to be notified before changes and
given an option to not participate.  I also want to know about the pitfalls of
the licensing mechanism so that I know the caveats before I am faced with the
need to perform an emergency cold-switch.

I understand that Declude has a well warranted concern about unlicensed usage
of their software and improvements have to be made, however my hands can't be
tied nor my or my customer's privacy violated in order to achieve this goal.
Hopefully that will not be the case here.

Matt

Colbeck, Andrew wrote: You have it exactly, Serge.

The MAC address is guaranteed to be unique on the planet, but only the
local network needs a MAC to be unique. A router needs a MAC to be
unique on each network it can directly see.

Entering a MAC into the configuration for your network card is often
called LAA (Locally Administered Address); using a custom MAC is
uncommon, but certainly not rare.

Mostly I see this being done on firewalls or a new home-user firewall
box to alleviate the bother of going to the ISP to register a new MAC
address, thus letting the user keep the same IP they had.

Andrew 8)