I've found several bugs in the win32 implementations of ClamAV (some really ugly stuff), but none that really effect the scanning of viruses. Since that post was made, I think it's safe to say that ClamAV has made a bit of headway on performance. I'd be interested in seeing a head to head comparison again, but my light testing now showed it to scan a 0.10MB file in about 0.52seconds.

I do like the fact that it has a nice, clean, fast updater as well .. no goofy stuff to work around, and no need to hack out a script.

Jonathan

Matt wrote:

Chuck,

Search the archives for "scanner efficiency olympics". It's a year old now, and I was primarily focused on performance instead of accuracy. F-Prot is the king of speed, however it seems to have several hiccups each year, and there seems to be a slew of different things happening lately. I think it is good to pair F-Prot with another scanner, but that requires Declude Virus Pro. If I was going to choose one scanner and had plenty of spare CPU, I would probably choose McAfee based on accuracy and speed combined, but as Nick indicated, it is hard to purchase unless you want a full network installation.

Matt

Colbeck, Andrew wrote:

Matt posted the authoritative roundup in a head to head comparison when
he revamped his Declude Virus setup.

Unless he chimes in here with an updated answer, the answer is somewhere
in the archives.

Andrew 8)

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chuck Schick Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 2:03 PM To: Declude.Virus@declude.com Subject: [Declude.Virus] F-Prot Alternative

We have been running F-prot as the virus scanner with Declude for over a year but lately it seems to have more and more bugs in it. What do others recommend as low-cost scanners to work with declude?

Chuck Schick
Warp 8, Inc.
(303)-421-5140
www.warp8.com

---
This E-mail came from the Declude.Virus mailing list.  To unsubscribe,
just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and