Seems there is some confusion about whether or not AVAFTERJM prevents
AV from running.  Some say it does and some say it doesn't matter - AV
still runs on all messages.

So, I guess we first need to have someone from Declude tell us, FOR
SURE, which it is. There isn't much in either section 9.1 or elsewhere
in the JM manual and I didn't find anything in the AV manual about
AVAFTERJM. So, DECLUDE, does, under any circumstances, AVAFTERJM cause
AV not to be ran on a message?

In the event that Declude responds that AV is prevented from running
under some or all circumstances by using AVAFTERJM, then:

  1. It seems to me that if you are holding messages which were not AV
  scanned and which could later be dropped into the queue for
  processing, that eventually Murphy will make sure that a virus
  infected message is released to an end-user.

  2. You are putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound or treating the
  symptom rather than the disease. If you are starved for cycles, plan
  to scale up or use gateways to separate the processes and reduce the
  bottleneck.

  FWIW

Friday, January 27, 2006, 11:02:32 AM, Markus Gufler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> So, with or without AVAFTERJM, it looks like each message is
>> scanned by the virus scanner (which makes sense to me).

MG> Wrong... if you block the messages on the servers:

As we know usualy >>50% of all incomming messages are spam.
MG> We know too that resource usage of one or two scan-engines is way above the
MG> entire spam filtering even if you use 5-6 external applications like
MG> sniffer, inv-uribl, spamchk, ...

MG> So if you're spam filters are set up properly they will filter out at least
MG> 50% of all incomming messages before they will reach the av-engines.

MG> Markus

MG> ---
MG> [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude EVA www.declude.com]

MG> ---
MG> This E-mail came from the Declude.Virus mailing list.  To
MG> unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
MG> type "unsubscribe Declude.Virus".    The archives can be found
MG> at http://www.mail-archive.com.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.inetconcepts.net
(972) 788-2364                    Fax: (972) 788-5049
----

---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude EVA www.declude.com]