You know, I was going to ask if you would do a search, but I figured you might do it anyway :)  You did leave out the ".uue" extension, but I doubt that would have changed your results.

I suppose that if these extensions aren't hardly ever used anymore, it might be prudent enough to just watch for the possibility of the tactic to become widespread and then take action.

I do have a fair number of Mac users and probably more overseas traffic that you do, so I think that I am going to have to search a little on my own.  Unfortunately I zip all of my logs nightly, so it isn't practical to search through all of them.

Matt

Colbeck, Andrew wrote:
On the plus side, there are mitigating circumstances...

First, let me point out that although the antivirus companies will lag behind the virus authors, the antivirus guys aren't sleeping.

For many years, the bad guys have been using encoding methods and 3rd party applications to obfusticate their software as a cheaper alternative on their time than writing polymorphic code whose very technique gave them away.

PKLite was probably the first 3rd party tool used.  I've recently seen PAK, UPX and FSG... all three of which were caught by F-Prot because the antivirus guys simply make signatures for the binary itself, and don't bother including unpacking methods for all possible compression/encryption methods.  This explains why we have relatively few upgrades on the engines themselves.

The F-Prot documentation mentions (I think) only zip decoding, but we know that it certainly does UPX and RAR decoding based on issues that have been raised with each (for the former, pathetic speed and the former, a buffer overflow).

If you want to see what your virMMDD.log might reveal about this latest malware this month and what attachments you're seeing anyway, try this:

egrep "\.BHX|\.HQX|\.B64|\.UU|\.MIM|\.MME" vir01??.log

(if you don't want the filename, stick a -h parameter and a space before that first quotation mark)

By doing this, against my virMMDD.log I just discovered that F-Prot decodes BHX and HQX attachments too.

By doing something similar against my nightly virus-scan-the-spam-folder logs I also discovered that I have zero non-viral messages using the unconventional attachment formats in the last two months.  You can take that as an indication that it's okay to ban those formats if you wish, but I'll warn that I have a pretty homogeneous Windows user base.

.... and that's a wrap for tonight.

Andrew 8)