> - As "Applications with Helper utils" I define shell-applications
>   that rely on other executables that do all the work and these
>   are mostly driven by using stdin and stdout or by using some sort
>   of (temp-)file to let the external exe work with, which are both
>   very dirty solutions.
>
> With the thought of OOP in mind, and Delphi is OOP, only the first
> way of writing code is acceptable, but, and this is the exception,
> the second way may only be used if, for instance, it's impossible
> to use the first solution because both "Application" and "Helper
> utils" do not reside on the same computer and/or "environment"
> (eg on a client's machine and corporate server).

There are situations where building an application as a monolithic EXE
is attractive, but you need to understand that large scale applications
cannot possibly be built as a single EXE simply because they are too
large. Further, you should remember that the Delphi programs that you
compile make very heavy use of the OS which is largely made up of
DLL's. Executing an external command-line program to perform a utility
task is not a "very dirty solution", but is in fact a much cleaner solution
than static linking common tasks like searching, sorting, and filtering.

In the UNIX and Linux world, this approach is not only common, it is the
way in which the OS itself does things. It is a time-tested way to
accomplish code reuse that virtually all large scale system employ.

Glenn Lawler