From: delphi-talk-boun...@elists.org [mailto:delphi-talk-boun...@elists.org]
On Behalf Of Cameron Cole
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2009 12:26 PM
To: Delphi-Talk Discussion List
Subject: Delphi 2009 and Strings

Borland may have made a change that will cause us to leave Delphi.  The
change in strings is creating a near epic conversion for us.  We use a lot
of third party controls and apparently it was pretty common to interchange
AnsiString with String as well as use functions like StrPas.  So now we have

weeks of hacking through code casting, changing, etc.  After our pilot
project to convert a small set of controls that normally would take about
ten minutes to upgrade to the latest Delphi over about three days.  The boss

is asking if we would be better off spending that time and money converting
our client to C#.  This could be the end for us using Delphi.  Shame.

The big dumb question of the day is there any directive to turn off
UnicodeString or to force String to be defined the old way?