Jeremy Coulter wrote:
> Yeah well, I am way ahead of you here Dennis.
> I have an app that it already communicating via TCP/IP fine, but it is
> passing strings....as it is a proto type.
> I now want to step it up a notch, and start getting some structure to the
> way things happen, and thought a record structure is one of the best ways of
> adding structure to data. (kind of)
>
> I am using strings in my records, but I guess I can change it to a PChar.
>
> so how do I treat it as a memory block ?

Type cast it to an array is one way:

Type
  TBigArray = array[0..10000] of byte;

  RecSize := SizeOf(Rec);
  HandleItSomeHow(@Rec,RecSize);

procedure HandleItSomeHow(Var Rec; Size : Longint);
Var
  S : String; //make sure its a LONG string

begin
  SetLength(S,Size);
  Move(rec,@s[1],size);
  StreamStringOverNetwork(s);

end;

Or something like that. Dunno how it would handle nulls, but it
should.....

Nic Wise - Inprise New Zealand Ltd. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
09-360-0231 (wk), 021-676-418 (mob), [EMAIL PROTECTED] (hm)
My opinions do not reflect the opinions of my employer,
or myself at times.