... reminds me of the saying: "there are two ways of being well off - one
is to have more, the other is to need less" I guess I'm in the "have more"
camp.

Max

snip

You'd be surprised perhaps. I constantly experience problems with people's
web pages at 800x600 that assume my screen has a minimum area. It is not
that you get scroll bars, but that you don't. The pages are designed to fit
on a minimum screen area and if your screen happens to be of less height
then part of the page won't display and no scroll bars are displayed.
People
on 640x480 would have even more problems. I run IE with the full size
button
bar, the links bar and address bar and status bar, and that doesn't leave
enough height on the 800x600 screen for some of these web pages that I
visit.

But I am used to screen area problems because I run a double height taskbar
with the IE address bar and quick launch toolbars on the top row. Then I
drag the IE address bar up next to the menu bar to give me extra height in
IE but it still doesn't work with these web pages.

Why do people assume your screen will always be 800x600 and your taskbar
will always be a fixed height and you will have no other appbars? Some
people run the Office toolbar on their screens as well. It is so simple to
put scrollbars on your app or webpages when they don't have enough area
available to display normally.

Patrick Dunford, Christchurch, NZ
http://patrick.dunford.com/