From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Donovan J. Edye
Sent: Wednesday, 25 August 1999 10:45
To: Multiple recipients of list delphi
Subject: [DUG]: Couple of Paradox issues...

G'Day All,

First off let me say that I am new to Paradox, so these may be self evident,
but......

1. I realise that the .NET and .LCK files have to do with record locking
etc. But is there a FAQ that explains this in some detail, just so that I
understand things fully?
2. What is the "correct" set up for the BDE when running multiple clients
off one central database on NT Workstations? Some say LocalShare TRUE others
say FALSE etc.
3. What are the best things that can be done for performance for the
scenario in 2? The reason I ask this is as follows:
At present I have LocalShare set TRUE on both machines, and both of them
pointing to a common net file. Both machines are NT4 WKS. I have 2 different
applications both accessing the same data. Where the database is local there
is no problem. However on the machine that is remote to the data
(irrespective of app), the performance is ABYSMAL. All I am doing at present
on the remote machine is opening the tables and it takes a LONG time for
then to open. I'd guess 20 secs per table!!!!! I am using BDE5.01 so I have
the latest and greatest, but I am definitely doing something wrong here.
Closing the tables also has the same effect. Any ideas I am desperate.

Any pointers, FAQ's for the above would be greatly appreciated. Even a
newbie FAQ for Paradox would be great.....

--Donovan
Donovan J. Edye [www.edye.wattle.id.au]
Namadgi Systems, Delphi Developer
Web: www.namsys.com.au