> >I've never seen any documentation about Interbase before. Does it have
the
> >posibility to have the web based client programmed in something else than
> >Delphi? If this is the case, I wouldn't worry any more; it would be just
>
> Java (JDBC), Perl (Mark! Where are those docs!), C(++), PHP3?, ASP (via
ODBC -
> make sure you get IB 5.5 or 5.6 - NOT 5.11, the ODBC driver is not thread
safe)

I not sure that PHP3 works. PHP4 (just released - see www.php.org) hopefully
handles Interbase, but PHP3 didn't quite make it. Possibly if you were using
the Linux version, but certainly not on Windows. Mark Derricutt (found
regularly on this list) might have more info as he got part way down the
track before he abandonned it.

We ended up using PHP3 via ODBC which we clocked as a fairly slow
connection, but Interbase itself performed very quickly, _especially_ when
we upgraded the hardware - It was performing complex queries in about 3
seconds on a P133, which dropped to less than a second on a P450 laptop.

I found PHP fairly easy to learn and use (although I recommend getting a
book - the docs on the net are nearly hopeless).

Cheers,
Simon.