>Havent been keeping up with this so asking the questions.
>Does Midas imply your application server tier is NT? Is there a MIDAS-for-Java
>so you application server can run on Unix?

Yup, NT only. There was talk of a JMidas, but I only ever saw a clientside bit.

>(Detect an anti-NT for application server bias here?)

Ooooh, I wounder why!? Maybe 'cos (from my POV) I have identical servers
(hardware) running an identical app (in java) under NT and Linux. The linux one
currently has an uptime of 7 days. The NT one needs rebooting every 3-5 days.
The Linux one is so short 'cos I had to shut it down last week.....

Oh, and something like Slowlarus is even more stable. :)

>What are the alternatives if you are determined that the middle tier is unix?

CORBA and DCOM pretty much. CORBA is 'native', DCOM is a fudge (tho a working
one). Both work with Java, CORBA also works with C++, Perl, etc etc.

I'd personally go with CORBA - Visi for Delphi is NICE (I'm doing that at the moment
vrs Linux/Java/Visi4Java3.4

>Okay,
>there is web development. Trouble here is that web front-end are a joke for
database.

Very true.

>Okay, can live with it for external person searching around, but not for internal
>dataentry and maintenence. Speed matters. Having web-server and a Delphi
client
>to an application server on same machine as webserver makes a fair bit of sense
>but how to do it?

Write it in Java (the app server). Here's my take, as I've been doing the same
thing for 2 months now (2nd part of a 1.5 year project):

- Java middle tier on NT/Linux (take ya pick), targetting Interbase 5.6 on NT or
Linux, exposing corba objects.
- IIS (NT) or Apache (Linux) talking to JRun (JSP engine)
- JRun talks CORBA to the CORBA server (duh!)
- Delphi client talks to the CORBA server via VisiForDelphi.

easy :) I just program to an interface and a set of records rather than a database
connection.

Gimme a shout off the list (or on it :) ) if you want more info.

Nic Wise - Human (just)
ph: 09.277.5309 / cell: 021.676.418 / em: [EMAIL PROTECTED]