Phil

As stated elsewhere the data would be immediately available via a Union
Query, though i'd be wary of using a union view

ie

create view AllData as
select * from MainTable
union
select * from TempTable

as I think your queries would thow a hissy fit!, As I would predict that
selection criteria would be applied after the union and not before

ie
select * from alldata where col1 = val1
<>
select * from MainTable where col1 = val1
union
select * from TempTable where col1 = val1

You could of course use use stored procs. You could also investigate some of
the recent data mining
functions of some of the SQL databases (I'm not sure about oracle) but some
of them have 'instead of' triggers
(MSSQL & postgreSQL) where you can override the actions of 'select' (a
select trigger). This way you
could make the select union when there is data in the log and main otherwise
select on the main table.
Bear in mind I might be completely wrong as I'm not sure if you can get
access to the raw text of the
query (which you would need) and I know that MS SQL has 'instead of' on
inserts but not if it supports selects

HTH (or is at least a bit interesting)

Neven