Neven

Not exactly what I was after :-(

I have implemented the following (where SL is a Stringlist in the
Names=Values format you suggested), but would be interested if a
variant of your method could do the same more efficiently.

function GetValue(Entry: String; col: Integer): String;
var StRec: TstringList;
begin
  try
    StRec := TStringList.Create;