Paul Mckenzie wrote:
Windows initially sat on top of DOS...
The way I see it - .NET will eventually, somehow, become the platform itself
(maybe 64-bit).

At the moment .NET is primarily a Java challenger for the Windows platform... and others, once the various non-MS CIL/CLR implementations out there (Mono for example) mature.

After that... who knows? Certainly there will still be an underlying platform to program against, but Microsoft could well limit that to drivers, if the whim took them. I think there'd be a fair outcry if they did so however.

Personally, I have no interest in .NET as yet.  If I have to use it I
will, but until then... C++ Builder suits me just fine :>

--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk