Hi all.
this is a tad offtopic, but useful if someone knows the answer.
I made up a wee unit yesterday as follows:
procedure TMainform.ZIPmodeClick(Sender: TObject);
var
  fp: file of Byte;
  no: longint;
  filename: string;
begin
  for no := 1 to 65535 do
  begin
    filename := 'h:\Test' + inttostr(no) + '.txt';
    assignfile(fp, filename);
    Rewrite(Fp);
    CloseFile(Fp);

Once the above is completed (on a 1.2Ghz machine it is SLOW). Thereafter explorer
is really choked/slow until I remove the files from whichever directory they
have been placed in. Explorers refresh if I click in the directory for example
can  take  2-3  minutes  just  to show the files within. Any suggestions on how to
overcome? They are all '0' size - could this be the problem or what?
Thanks,
Alistair+

Oh, BTW it was a test for the ability of a zip engine to zip 65535 files then
zip64 > 65535 files.

PPS just found that by turning off 'indexing service' helps a lot although the
target directory refresh is just as slow.