Now are you after a fully transparent panel or a partially transparent panel?
These are different properties on a form - Fully transparent uses the
TransparentColorValue properties, and a partially transparent form uses the
Alphablend properties.

D2007 - I tested a form with transparent color set to
TransparentColorValue:=clGreen and TransparentColor:=true.  This should work
for D2005? onwards.  Put a couple of labels on the panel, set the panel color
to clGreen and hey presto  a fully transparent panel complete with floating
labels - that is it does make a hole in the form behind it too.   Note you want
to choose a color not used for anything else you want to see on the form, as it
will disappear!

There are also quite a few controls with transparent properties - labels,
toolbars, TGraphic, TImage, but only TForm and related seem to have Alphablend.

If you are after an alphablend partially transparent panel maybe the way to do
it is use an embedded form rather than a panel?   I haven't done that myself
but I have seen it done for other purposes.

John