I can add some information about how Vista UAC works from experience:

I have noticed that it must store the process ID or something similar of the
original parent process  that needed and was granted the elevation.  If the
same action requiring elevation is run again it does not ask as long as the
original program or one started by the original program is still running and
repeating the same action.   However if the program is terminated and
restarted it does ask again.

It shows there was some thought by MS into giving the elevation some scope
over actions and processes related to the original process, and probably for
some time as well, all of which is sensible.

(In my case it was not registry stuff, but a starter program copying .Exe
files wich does trigger Vista into thinking its some kind of installer I am
guessing - which is similar to what you are doing)

John