Seeing we are talking about the merits of .Net and garbage collection - let
me re-raise my question which no-one answered yet:

The D2007 IDE uses quite a bit of .Net code.  I find it is consistently the
last thing to respond on Vista after a log-in or resume - 20-30+ seconds of
spinning wheel before the code window repaints.   Is this .net garbage
collection going on?  is it .Net overhead?  or is it something else?

Some here  know a lot about the tech specs of the IDE - any comments?

Personally I will be more impressed by .net once MS start using it
themselves for their core products.   Vista does not come with .net
framework installed - the D2007 installer installed it, and almost none of
Windows or MS Office 2007 (which was also pre-installed when I got the PC)
use it hence a default Vista + Office does not have the framework.

John