I'll add my cents..

under Delphi 7, getlasterror returns error 1413 as Karl said.. under Delphi
2007 no errors whatsoever. whats clear is that Getlasterror is unlreliable
in this situation as Microsoft says, because microsoft online help says the
getlasterror value cannot be controlled depending on OS and device and only
the -1 is reliable as an answer.
testing the index as Jolyon first said is the only guaranteed method to
ensure there should be a correct data value.

curious that the same code under D7 doesnt get the same result as d2007 when
they are both accessing api calls. some kind of registered handler hiding?

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Jolyon Smith <jsm...@deltics.co.nz> wrote:

> But since we're talking about behavior in the OS not the VCL or compiler,
> more pertinent perhaps is the OS:
>
> I'm running on a fully SP'd and updated Windows XP
>
> Are you running Vista/Windows 7 by any chance

Kyley Harris
Harris Software
+64-21-671-821