*From:* delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz [mailto:delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz] *On Behalf Of *Todd
*Sent:* Wednesday, 24 November 2010 16:55
*To:* NZ Borland Developers Group - Delphi List
*Subject:* [DUG] How's this for inconsistent

The Delphi developer who implemented TInterfacedObject obviously considered the case when an interface reference is grabbed during construction......

// Set an implicit refcount so that refcounting
// during construction won't destroy the object.
class function TInterfacedObject.NewInstance: TObject;
begin
  Result := inherited NewInstance;
  TInterfacedObject(Result).FRefCount := 1;
end;

procedure TInterfacedObject.AfterConstruction;
begin
// Release the constructor's implicit refcount
  InterlockedDecrement(FRefCount);
end;

but didn't consider applying the same logic during destruction. So grabing an interface reference during destruction causes all hell to break loose, as the _Release method tries to free the object again and again recursively.

procedure TInterfacedObject.BeforeDestruction;
begin
  if RefCount <> 0 then
    Error(reInvalidPtr);
end;

function TInterfacedObject._Release: Integer;
begin
  Result := InterlockedDecrement(FRefCount);
  if Result = 0 then
    Destroy;
end;

Todd.