It would have ramifications for me as I validate the installation path in
the software from a registry entry written by the installer.

Hmmm.

-----Original Message-----
From: delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz [mailto:delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz] On
Behalf Of John Bird
Sent: Saturday, 12 February 2011 12:21 AM
To: NZ Borland Developers Group - Delphi List
Subject: [DUG] Windows 7 Network Oddity

?I have software used on networks that commonly uses its shared folder
server as a mapped drive,  eg   M:\MyFolder with M: mapped to
\\Server1\MySoftware\
If a program runs from there, started as M:\MyFolder\MyProgram.exe  , there
is a difference between XP and Windows 7:

XP   Application.exename   returns    M:\MyFolder\MyProgram.exe

Windows 7   Application.exename   returns
\\Server1\MySoftware\MyFolder\MyProgram.exe

ie Windows 7 expands the mapped drive to its real UNC name rather than
returning the mapped drive name, even though the program was run from a
shortcut using the mapped drive name.

Anyone know if this is a setting or preference that can be altered?   Or do
I have to live with either being returned depending on Windows version?

Others may wish to check if this has ramifications for them!

John