Thanks to Steve and Rodger for suggesting map providers, both GeoSmart <http://geosmart.co.nz> and Map Data Services <http://mapds.com.au/> provide good quality commercial maps. Although I found MDS to be far more helpful. However in the end we've gone with OpenStreetMaps.org <http://OpenStreetMaps.org> using the OpenLayers <http://openlayers.org> API, while the quality is not as good - it's very good for the price (which of course is $0).
<http://geosmart.co.nz>

Alister Christie
Computers for People
Ph: 04 471 1849 Fax: 04 471 1266