Oh, I did miss out on the second question, but as David also pointed out, you
need to protect this as a whole etc.

As for sessions, yes, they are generally safe. I normally store a copy of it in
the database and I check against that. I find that it’s pretty easy to build
all the auth checking into a routine that is called before any processing is
done. Yes, it adds load to the DB etc but hey - safer is “cheaper” in the long
run

Cheers,

Pieter