From: delphi-boun...@listserver.123.net.nz
<delphi-boun...@listserver.123.net.nz> On Behalf Of Adrian Williams
Sent: Monday, 13 June 2022 10:05 am
To: NZ Borland Developers Group - Delphi List <delphi@listserver.123.net.nz>
Subject: [DUG] Using Queries

Hi all

I wonder if someone could clarify something regarding Queries.

I understand that if you run a query on a table it returns a  subset or
snapshot of data from the table based on the SQL statement supplied. (In my
Paradox days, a query created an 'ANSWER' table that could be navigated as a
table, but was separate from the original data).

What I have discovered (more by accident), is that if you edit records in the
query data and call  the query's POST method it will post the changes back to
original table. Also by using the APPEND and INSERT methods on the query, you
can create new records in the base table. What I have been able to ascertain is
that the database engine seamlessly creates the SQL code to run UPDATE and
INSERT statements to amend the original table in the background.

My question is: Is this a 'proper' and acceptable way of updating a table by
modifying the Query data? Or is this fraught with danger and bad practice?

Appreciate any comments on this.

Regards
Adrian Williams
Admin:
https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdelphi.org.nz%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fdelphi&amp;data=05%7C01%7Cdavid_m%40pegasushealth.mail.onmicrosoft.com%7C7b930b43ff84410bd7d408da4cc0a17b%7C3ee1ab78075342db8dab9bf1b07b2b1a%7C0%7C0%7C637906688665756119%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=s%2B%2Fv97d93Iigw9AXAfBoFBa%2BIeOCMb1M9O1mK1didpI%3D&amp;reserved=0
This email or attachment(s) may contain confidential or legally privileged
information intended for the sole use of the addressee(s). Any use,
redistribution, disclosure, or reproduction of this message, except as
intended, is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the
sender and erase all copies of the message, including any attachments. Any
views or opinions expressed in this email (unless otherwise stated) may not
represent those of Pegasus Health Ltd.