Hello,

I just learned (on linuxfr.org) that TLA (aka GNU Arch) has been
dropped by Tom Lord, its main developer.

As I'm using Arch to manage demexp source code, it is going to be an
issue in the long term. In the short term, Arch is available and it
does not seem to have particular blocking bug (except its user
interface, but this is probably a "feature").

The obvious remplacement is Bazaar and Bazaar-ng, a fork of Arch
sponsored by Canonical Ltd. (the firm behind Ubuntu Linux).

But Thomas (Petazzoni) pointed me to Mercurial which seems quite
interesting: fast (an important point for me after testing Arch),
decentralized and with a simple interface.

I've not taken any decision yet, but it is always fun to play with a
new SCM, so be assured I'll break all existing repositories. ;) Of
course, I'll be glad to hear any opinion on the relative merit of
other SCM.

My 0.2 € opinion on other SCM:
 - GIT: too complicated, just manage source trees (i.e. not really an
SCM), too tied to linux kernel;
 - Subversion (svn): really nice but centralized;
 - Darcs: after finding it interesting, I finally don't like its
theory of commutating change set: too complicated (and complexity
means issues);
 - Monotone: I don't know it, no opinion;
 - Aegis: too complicated, relies too much on Unix. A nightmare to
setup and centralized;
 - CVS: don't even think about it! ;)

Yours,
d.