Hello Diogene,

2007/10/19, Diogene Laerce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> First Id like to say that I dont receive the mails of the discussion ??
> Just receive the summary at the end, is this normal ?

Have you requested to receive demexp-dev as a daily digest? I'll check
that (or one of the other demexp-dev list admin)

> > Do you really want to use PHP? :-)
> >
> > In any case, if you prefer PHP, it might be better to use Augustin's
> > code. We know it works and it does not need an external library, so it
> > is going to be easier to deploy. Moreover, I don't find that the PHP
> > xml-rpc external module improves code's clarity.
>
> Does it not need drupal to work ?

Augustin's code is a Drupal module but his demexp server related code
is generic PHP and relies only on standard PHP modules (as far as I
know). But the best thing is probably to look at his code:
http://drupal.org/project/demexp

> No thats ok for me.. I still think that demexp would need more that one
> client. So I will follow in php cos I believe (tell me if Im wrong) that
> it would be easier to find servers with php available than python.

Yes, generally speaking, it is easier to find PHP hosting that Python one.

However, regarding the demexp official server, we can have any
infrastructure (see below).

> Does it mean that you can use python scripts on a normal apache server
> (no pre required installation) ?

If you have a Python interpreter available, yes you can use Python as
a CGI script.

> Another question : Where can I find the options the server hosting
> demexp propose (php, python, mysql...) ?

On the demexp server, we are root on the machine so we can install
pretty anything that is available as Debian Etch package. :-)

Currently we have PHP5 and PostgreSQL (for the phpBB forum). If you
plan to use a database, please use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL. We
would prefer to standardize on PostgreSQL (for stability reasons).

If you have further inquiries, do not hesitate to ask.

Yours,
d.