an addendum:

I solved the scrolling issue by adding bar lines, which are invisible while
in cadenza mode (yay!)

The problem, though, is that the cadenza does not automatically
generate a page break.

1. How do I force a page break in cadenza time?

Another problem is that the original time signature still shows up in the
beginning of the score. I can edit this in Frescobaldi by taking out the 4/4
line in the score, but I'm not sure if this is correct technique, plus it
doesn't generate a score when I try to import my new file back to
denemo.

A further problem is that this time signature (which has nothing to do
with the amount of notes in the score) doesn't allow 'check score' to
function correctly.

2. How do I get rid of the time signature at the beginning of the cadenza?