My experience working on DERBY-6856 suggests that it will be very difficult to support building Derby with both JDK 9 and earlier versions of the JDK. In previous releases, we maintained some very complicated machinery for using old JDKs in order to build Derby jars which could run on both old and modern Java versions. It is hard to sustain that complexity given our small number of active contributors.

I propose that 10.14.1 (https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourteenOneRelease) be the last release which runs on Java 8. The 10.15.1 release would be compiled into Java 9 byte code and only run on that platform and later versions of Java. We would announce this change in the 10.14.1 release notes.

What are your thoughts? If the community seems willing, I will call a vote to approve this change.