You could try re-enabling the "echoproperties" that we commented out
in rev 1832736 (see DERBY-6998) because it was quite noisy.

Perhaps there are some clues in that output that will tell us more
about the particulars of the Jenkins machine environment that relate
to the international character set issues?

bryan