Ole Solberg wrote:

I recently had some problems running some tests on a machine due to
overaggressive firewall software on that machine. Considering that
these mails involve tests running on different operating systems
presumably running on different machines, and that a lot of them
involve access to network resources, is there a possibility that the
differences in these test runs are due to various firewall or network
access controls on these machines?

Thanks Andrew, for the hint!
The 'CYGWIN_NT-5.1_i686-unknown' machine (on my home network) runs firewall sw. I'll try turning that off.

Just FYI, I think there is something not quite right with network server's interaction with firewall software or maybe , where one can get a hang even though the software is set to allow connections. I have not been able to reproduce it reliably. If you can it would be worth investigating. I know Bryan expressed interest in this issue.

The history is that with  the following firewall software:

Check Point Integrity Flex version 6.01.182.000
TrueVector security engine version 6.0.182.000
Driver version 6.0.182.0000

On Windows XP machine, NSInSameJVM sometimes hangs and does not pop up with a window requesting access, but I cannot reproduce reliably. Other times, the window would pops up so I can allow access but the test will not proceed.

I had a user report on Windows 2003 that a simple network server/client program would hang with the same software. The ultimate resolution of this issue was that Integrity Flex was not supported on Windows 2003. But, before we got to that point we saw that just a simple attempt to make a client connection through ij would hang. Using a small java program to just simulate the client/server socket interactions, I could not reproduce.

My gut feeling was that perhaps something in network server was not getting flushed or something else is just not quite right with the socket interaction in network server/client, but again never got close enough to a reproducible case to really track it down.

Another clue with regard to NSInSameJVM is DERBY-589. This is reported not to reproduce with jdk 1.5, but again seems to illustrate a fragility of network server or NSINSameJVM that can cause a hang.

Anyway, short story, if you can reproduce this reliably, before you disable your firewall software take a few minutes to document how to reproduce this elusive problem and file a bug and point to this thread.
Kathey