It was doing this to me last week -- I noticed today that I had such a
directory, dated 8/16. But I deleted it, and when I build the docs now,
this directory no longer appears.

They looked like semi-processed files that belonged in the temp
directory. Someone seems to have fixed things so that the strays no
longer appear.

Kim