Hi Ashwin,

Some more responses follow.

Regards,
-Rick

Ashwin Jayaprakash wrote:

Rick, thanks for replying.

Perhaps you meant "-Dderby.debug.DumpParseTree=true" instead of "-Dderby.debug.true=DumpParseTree"? But I tried that too and it didn't work. But anyway, I looked into the GenericStatement code where the Tree was being printed. I realised that was what I wanted to avoid - using the Compiler Context, connecting to a Database instance etc.

I apologize. I forgot to mention that you have to run with the debug version of Derby. You need to build Derby with the following flags set in the ant.properties in your home directory:

sanity=true
debug=true

Detailed instructions for building Derby can be found at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk/BUILDING.txt.

I just wanted to parse the SQL offline.

Also , can Derby be run in a completely non-persistent mode like HSQL? I do not want persistence, just SQL operations on a few thousand rows in-memory (I know this should've been posted as a separate question, well..)

It looks like Dag has sent you advice on this topic.

Thanks,
Ashwin.

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 Rick Hillegas wrote :
>Hi Ashwin,
>
>I don't know whether anyone got back to you on this topic. I hope that this addresses your question.
>
>The DumpParseTree tracepoint causes Derby to print the ASTs to derby.log. You can set this tracepoint when Derby starts up. Here for instance is how you would do it if you were running Derby embedded under the ij tool:
>
>java -cp $CLASSPATH -Dderby.debug.true=DumpParseTree -Dderby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0 org.apache.derby.tools.ij z.sql
>
>Regards,
>-Rick
>
>Ashwin Jayaprakash wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>Does anybody know if there is a way to parse and view the AST for an SQL Query in Derby? I looked at the sqlparser.jj in the source code, but couldn't find a way to start it and parse a query without hacking into all the code.
>>
>>Some thing like this one: http://www.experlog.com/gibello/zql/ ?
>>
>>I am especially interested in extending the SQL grammar a little bit by adding a few keywords and re-writing some queries issued by the user. So, some kind of a Visitor-pattern would be nice.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ashwin (www.JavaForU.com).

>><http://adworks.rediff.com/cgi-bin/AdWorks/sigclick.cgi/www.rediff.com/signature-home.htm/[EMAIL
 PROTECTED]>