David Van Couvering <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I noticed that if you try to create two indexes with different names on the
> same column set that Derby silently ignores the command.
>
> I can understand the rationale - it doesn't make sense to maintain two keys
> against the same columns - they're the same key.  But it would be useful to
> say something that lets the user know that the index already exists, rather
> than silently succeeding.

Hi David,

We do raise a warning in these cases, so it's not quite silent, but I
don't think many applications actually check the warnings. IJ does,
though:

ij> create table t (x int);
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> create index i1 on t(x);
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> create index i2 on t(x);
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
WARNING 01504: The new index is a duplicate of an existing index: I1.

-- 
Knut Anders

Reply via email to