I have a webapp which runs a networked Derby server. I want to be able
to access it from a separate app. The webapp starts the server from the
contextInitialized() method of a ServletContextListener:

  server = new NetworkServerControl();
  server.start(null);

which works fine. However, when I try to open a second connection with
IJ it gives me this response:

  ij> connect '/foo/db;dataEncryption=true;bootPassword=xyz';
  ERROR XJ040: Failed to start database '/foo/db', see the next
  exception for details.
  ERROR XSDB6: Another instance of Derby may have already booted the
  database C:foo\db.
  ij>

Is there something I'm missing here?

TIA,

 John English | My old University of Brighton home page is still here: