Great article the one about derby security... just what I needed to
know, thanks.
-----Mensaje original-----
De: Rick Hillegas [mailto:rick.hille...@oracle.com]
Enviado el: jueves, 09 de febrero de 2012 07:47 a.m.
Para: derby-user@db.apache.org
Asunto: Re: About db file sizing

Hi Carlos,

Some responses inline...

On 2/8/12 3:00 PM, Carlos de Luna Saenz wrote:
> I really don't know if this is a good couple questions or not...
> We are developing an embedded DB app that has a 1.74GB of files for
the
> database
> I wonder if there is something like a shrink or compact command that
> will reduce the amount of space for the app DB.
The SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE and
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE procedures can be used to
reclaim unused space. Don't know how effective they will be for your
needs though. See
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/ref/ref-single.html#rrefaltertablec
ompress
> Is there a way to make it user/password protected? We don't want to
> "start" a server on the program side but password protection would be
> appreciated.
Derby currently supports 3 user/password authentication schemes,
discussed here:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/devguide/devguide-single.html#cdevc
secure42374
. In the next major feature release (10.9), we hope to introduce another

authentication scheme which should be easier to configure and
administer; it is described by the functional spec attached to

Hope this helps,
-Rick